- December 13, 2016, Congratulations to ESP-IGERT Associate Maliheh Monshizadeh
has accepted a postdoctoral research associate position starting
January 2017 at Department of the Computer Science at University of
- December 12, 2016, Congratulations to ESP-IGERT Associate Maliheh Monshizadeh who has defended successfully.
- Oct. 25, 2016, Congratulations to ESP-IGERT Faculty Stephen Checkoway on being awarded the best paper prize at the 2016 ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS)! CCS and IEEE Security and Privacy are the two top computer security conferences.
- Sept. 22, 2016, Congratulations to ESP-IGERT Fellow Stacy Blasiola who has accepted a User-Experience Research position in Facebook, after interning there this past summer. She will be finishing up her PhD this academic year and willmove to Menlo Park next Fall.
- Feb. 23, 2016, Congratulations to ESP-IGERT Fellow Federica
Fornaciari who has accepted an Assistant Professor in the Department of
Art and Humanities at National University in La Jolla, California.
- Jan. 16, 2016, Welcome to the new ESP-IGERT Fellows: Jason Archer, Nathanael Bassett, Paul Murray, and Jordan Torf.
- August 4, 2015, Congratulations to ESP-IGERT Fellow John Pendergrass who has accepted a visiting assistant professor position starting Fall 2015 at department of the College of Business at the Northern Illinois University. He is teaching in the Operations Management and Information Systems.
- June 5, 2015, Congratulations
to ESP-IGERT Fellow Hale Thompson who has accepted a postdoctoral position
starting Fall 2015 at AIDS Project East Bay and will continue to
examine how electronic health record infrastructures are impacting
healthcare in underserved settings.
- May 4, 2015, Congratulations to ESP-IGERT Fellow Ivan Brugere who is on summer internship at Microsoft for 12 weeks.
- March 24, 2015, Congratulations
to ESP-IGERT Fellow Stacy Blasiola who is 2015 Microsoft Research SMC PhD Interns. Stacy uses a mixed methods approach to study the social
impacts of algorithms. Using the methods of big data she examines how
news events appear in newsfeeds, and using qualitative methods she
investigates how the people that use digital technologies understand,
negotiate, and challenge the algorithms that present digital
- March 1, 2015, Congratulations to ESP-IGERT fellow Stacy Blasiola Renee
Powers has the media apprearance on CBS Evening News with Scott Pelley.
Interviewed for a segment on the Millennial generation and financial
- Dec. 1, 2014, Congratulations to ESP-IGERT fellow Stacy Blasiola who is admitted to doctoral candidacy
- Nov. 18, 2014, Congratulations to ESP-IGERT Fellow Ivan Brugere for winning the Fall 2014 Graduate College's Chancellor award for research for his project titled "Spatiotemporal social network modeling and prediction under privacy preservation"
- Oct 10. 2014, ESP-IGERT Fellow Renee Powers is selected as the Graduate Student Representative for the Communication and Technology division of the International Communication Association.
- Oct 1. 2014, ESP-IGERT
Fellow Renee Powers is invited to the lecture “Pitching and Writing
Guest Blog Posts” Course: Writing for Electronic Media University of
Illinois at Chicagoselected as the Graduate Student Representative
for the Communication and Technology division of the International
- September 1, 2014, ESP-IGERT Fellow Renee M. Powers is invited to give a talk, ““Beyond Distributive and Communicative”, at the Institute for Research on Digital Learning, York University (Toronto).
- July 1, 2014, ESP-IGERT Fellow Renee M. Powers presents a paper: " YouTube Ethnography Pilot Study & Dissertation Proposal" at Oxford Internet Institute Summer Doctoral Programme.
June 1, 2014, ESP-IGERT Fellow Renee M. Powers presents a paper: " “Power and Anonymity in the Digital Age”*" at USC Annenberg Summer Institute for Diversity in Media and Culture.
- June 1, 2014 ESP-IGERT Fellows Stacy Blasiola and Renee Powers will attend the 2014 Summer Doctoral Programme at Oxford Internet Institute, University of Oxford.
- May 22, 2014, Kelly Quinn and ESP-IGERT Fellow Renee M. Powers present a paper: “Does Sharing Relate to Privacy?: Conceptualizing Sharing Though Reader Comments to Online News.” at the International Communication Association Preconference on Sharing, Seattle, WA.
- April 25, 2014, ESP-IGERT Fellow Ivan Brugere has a summer research internship at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory as part of the Cyber Defendersprogram. He will be working on characterizing structural dynamics in networks with applications in network intrusion detection and auction fraud detection.
- January 8, 2014, SFS students participate at the SFS Conference and Job Fair in Arlington, VA.
- October 2, 2013, ESP-IGERT Fellow Pete Snyder's paper, Cloudsweeper: Enabling Data-Centric Document Management for Secure Cloud Archives, is accepted at the CCSW 2013 Conference
- June 15, 2013, IGERT Fellow Stacy Blasiola is among a handful of PhD students from around the world selected to participate in the Queensland University of Technology's CCI Winter School in Australia.
- December 16, 2012 ESP-IGERT Ascociate Maliheh Monshizadeh (CS-ENG) presented her work on automated synthesis of secure web applications at the 2012 ASE International Conference on Cyber Security in Washington DC.
- June 23, 2012 New Fellow Stacy Blasiola from the department of Communication at UIC joins the IGERT program.
- May 30, 2012 IGERT Fellows Nazari Skrupsky and Ben Kuo, and Professor Venkatakrishnan participated in the IGERT PI meeting 2012 held in Washington DC from May 30 to June 1
- May 6, 2012 IGERT-ESP faculty members Prof. Jakob Eriksson and Prof. Venkat Venkatakrishnan for receiving the College of Engineering Teaching Awards for 2011-12
- April 18, 2012 Professor Steve Jones is featured on UIC News
- April 12, 2012 Congratulations to IGERT-ESP Fellow Benjamin Kuo, whose paper "Knowledge Contribution in Online Patient to Patient Health Care Communities" will appear at the Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS 2012).
- April 10, 2012 Congratulations to IGERT Fellow Nazari Skrupsky whose paper, "Don’t Repeat Yourself: Automatically Synthesizing Client-side Validation" was accepted at the third USENIX Conference on Web Application Development (Jun. 2012).
- February 9, 2012 Congratulations to ESP-IGERT Fellow Federica Fornaciari whose chapter, The language of technoself: storytelling, symbolic interactionism, and online identity, will be published in the "Handbook of Research on Technoself: Identity in a Technological Society", R. Luppicini (Ed.), IGI Global
- February 1, 2012 First IGERT Fellows join the program Federica Fornaciari from the Department of Communication, Benjamin Kuo from the Department of Information and Decision Sciences, and Nazari Skrupsky from the Department of Computer Science have been awarded ESP-IGERT Fellowships
- September 20, 2011 News of ESP-IGERT flies on PrezRelease
- August 16, 2011 ESP-IGERT on the CS Department News page